I don’t know how I planned my trip to my parents house at the perfect time to enjoy home grown blackberries off the vine, but I managed to time it perfectly. The window for ripe blackberries is only a few weeks and that is when they are the best. The kids and I ate tons off the vine as well as enjoyed some great blackberry recipes. One of which is this blackberry cake. A great dessert, especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
~ 1/2 cup butter
~ 1 cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp.
~ 1 cup flour
~ 1 tsp. baking powder
~ 2 eggs
~ 1/4 tsp. almond extract
~ 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
~ 1 tsp. blackberry jam
~ 1 cup fresh or frozen sugar-free blackberries
1. Preheat oven to 350o F. Butter and flour a 9 inch spring form pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine butter and 1 cup sugar. Cream together until well blended and fluffy. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture. Add eggs, extracts and jam and mix until well blended. The batter should be stiff.
4. Scrap batter into the prepared cake pan and spread the top smooth. Scatter berries evenly over the batter and sprinkle the fruit with 1 Tbsp. sugar.
5. Bake on center rack of oven for 55-60 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from rim of pan. Run a thin-bladed knife between cake and rim. Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Click Below to Print Recipe