Even though we didn’t get apples this week in our bountiful basket we get them almost every week. My family doesn’t seem to eat apples as fast as we get them and so I have been on a hunt to find something to do with them. I don’t want to make a dessert like apple pie or apple crisp because we just really don’t need to eat dessert every night of the week. I have yet to try making apple sauce yet, maybe another day.
So when I found baked apple crisps I was so excited to give them a try. I figured they would make great snacks for the kids and my husband. On top of all that all they are is apples and cinnamon so they would be a healthy snack! Basically this is the same a dehydrating your apples but since I don’t have dehydrator this was the next best thing.
Baked Apple Crisps
~ 2 apples
~ cinnamon for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 250o F and use the fan element if your oven has it.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a non stick baking sheet.
3. Using a mandolin or food processor, slice apples to 1/8 inch thickness. If slicing by hand, core the apples to facilitate slicing and slice the apples as thin as you can.
4. Arrange the apple slices on the parchment paper and lightly sprinkle with cinnamon.
5. Bake on the lower part of your oven (away from the heating elements) for 20 minutes, then gently turn the apple slices over and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes. Keep an eye on them towards the last 10 minutes or so to make sure they don’t burn.
6. Remove baking sheet or rack from oven and allow the apple to cool. The apples will come out a bit soft but will crisp up as they cool.
7. Store in an airtight container or bag.
* 2 apples makes one small bag. I just made them in batches one day to have enough to last us a week or two.
Click Below to Print Recipe