I don’t know about you but I love when I meal cooks in one pot, that means less dishes and a faster clean up! Plus for me it seems like dinner is a bit easier when I am only dealing with one pot or pan. Things don’t get burnt and everything is done at the same time. So I was super excited to find this recipe while I was wasting time on pinterest. It was over at No.2pencil and a great find!
Super simple to throw together for a tasty weeknight dinner. Plus there was enough left over for dinner the next night!
One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
~ 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used chicken thighs since that was what I had on hand), diced into bite sized pieces
~ 3 Tbsp. olive oil
~ 1 small yellow onion diced
~ 1 cup of uncooked rice
~ 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
~ 1 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
~ 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
~ 1/2 tsp. chili powder
~ 1 tsp. cumin
~ 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
~ 2 cups shredded cheese
~ salt and pepper
~ fresh diced tomatoes
~ diced green onions
~ sour cream
1. Start by sauteing onions in 2 Tbsp. olive oil until they start to soften.
2. Season diced chicken with 1 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. of pepper. I used some cilantro lime salt I got from a friend, it was amazing!
3. Add chicken to pan and cook over medium high heat until chicken has started to brown.
4. Move chicken to one side of pan, in the other side of the pan add an additional Tbsp. olive oil and saute uncooked rice for about 2 minutes or just until some grains start to turn brown.
5. Stir in black beans, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin.
6. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
7. Cook about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
8. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
9. Sprinkle with cheese, recover and let set for 2-3 minutes off of the heat to melt the cheese.
10. Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, sour cream and guacamole.
Click below to Print Recipe