I am always a big fan of anything stuffed with cheese so when I saw this recipe on Two Peas and the Pod I was excited to give it a try. What made it even more appealing was the spinach and mushrooms inside the cannelloni. What a great way to add some more veggies into you meal especially with kids. This recipe did take more time than I usually put into a weeknight dinner but it wasn’t hard and the end result was amazing.
This amazing picture was taken by Two Peas and Their Pod. I forgot to take a picture until mine was half eaten and the end result was not nearly as pretty as this one.
Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni
~ 2 Tbsp. olive oil
~ 1 small onion, chopped
~ 1 garlic clove, minced
~ 3 cups fresh spinach
~ 2 cups sliced mushrooms
~ 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
~ 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
~ 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
~ 1 large egg
~ 1 tsp. dried basil
~ 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
~ 1/4 tsp. black pepper
~ 1/2 tsp. salt
~ 1Tbsp. olive oil
~ 1/2 small onion, chopped
~ 2 garlic cloves, minced
~ Dash crushed red pepper
~ 1 tsp. fennel seeds
~ 3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
~ 1 Tbsp. tomato poste
~ 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
~ Salt and Pepper to taste
~ 1 box No-Boil Lasagna Noodles (I used Barilla No-Boil Homemade Flat Lasagna Noodles)
~ 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350o F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. To make the filling-in a large sauce pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender. Stir in spinach and mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are soft and spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese. Add egg and mix until well combined. Stir in spinach mushroom mixture and seasonings. Set aside while you make the sauce.
4. To make the sauce: in a large stock pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for about five minutes. Add red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, and diced tomatoes. Stir in tomato paste. Add fresh basil and season with salt and pepper. Simmer on stove for about 20 minutes.
5. For the pasta: add lasagna noodles to a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook for three minutes or until the noodles are al dente. Do not over cook, they will finish cooking in the oven. Carefully remove noodles from water and lay flat on a wire cooling rack.
6. To assemble the cannelloni: spread about a 1/2 cup of the sauce in the baking dish. Spread about 1/4 cup spinach ricotta filling in a line along one short side of the lasagna noodle. Put 1 Tbsp. of sauce on top and then roll up to enclose filling. Carefully transfer cannelloni to pan and place seam side down. Continue stuffing and rolling remaining cannelloni. Top cannelloni with remaining sauce and 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Cover pan with foil and bake until sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5 additional minutes, until cheese is melted.
Click Below to Print Recipe
Spinach Mushroom Cannelloni