Like many of you I have about a thousand recipes pinned to my Pinterest board. In an effort to stop eating the same old same old I have been working on trying to eat our way through some of these Pinterest recipes and either keep them if they are good or unpin them if they are not a favorite of my family.
After a few Pinterest fails we finally found a recipe that we all loved. This recipe came from James & Everett what’s cooking at home and will now be something that we make every time we grill. I might even consider starting up the BBQ just to make these!
Grilled Blue Cheese & Bacon Stuffed Onions
~ 4 large sized sweet onions (Vidalia, Maui Sweets, sweet yellows, or any favorite of yours)
~ 1 stick of butter
~ 2/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
~ 4 strips bacon, crumbled (or as much as you like)
~ salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim the ends off of the onions and peel. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the inside of the onion to create a cavity.
2. In a small bowl mix together butter, cheese, and bacon. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Stuff the mixture into the onions, completely filling the center.
4. Place each onion on a square of aluminum foil. Wrap up onion creating a sealed pouch. Try to keep the aluminum foil from touching the onion and make sure the top is sealed completely to keep the steam in.
5. Heat your grill on high. Reduce heat to medium low and place the foil pouches directly over the heat. Close the lid of the grill and cook for 30-40 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your onions and your grill. Resist the temptation to open the grill and the pouches.
6. Remove from grill and allow to stand for a full 5 minutes before opening the pouches. Be careful the steam from the pouches will be hot.
7. Using tongs carefully transfer the onion onto a plate or bowl. Use a spoon to drizzle any remaining butter from the bottom of the pouch over the onion.
Click Below to Print Recipe